Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Oh Flip!

In the last month or so, I have been reading more and more about the 'flipped classroom'.  I have decided to try and incorporate these ideas in my classroom programme.

Step One: Researching
Although I have read quite a few articles on this topic, below are a few that I have found particularly helpful:

The Flipped Classroom Defined (great infographic)
The Flip: Turning a classroom upside down
Mobile Learning and The Flipped Classroom: The Full Picture
The Truth about flipped learning 
3 Keys to Flipped Learning (very practical)
What the Flip (the other side of the coin)

Step Two: Discussing
I thought I better have a conversation with the people it would directly affect ~ my year 5 class. I have decided to trial it within my literacy programme, specifically the dreaded Speech writing unit that we are about to embark on.

So we had a great chat about this notion today. I had them collate their thoughts on a PMI (on the IWB):


From this chat, the feedback was very positive.  The students were very excited about this new idea.  Some of the feedback and reactions:
1. No teacher to help - I have reassured students that we will be discussing the finer details when they have their workshop (group time) with me.  They will also have the ability to leave a comment or discussion if they have anything to discuss.
2. No internet at home - I have a couple of students who will not have access to a computer on a week-by-week basis.  For these students, they will have time in class to view the material before their workshop. They will also have access before school.

So now I have the students on board, I know what I am going to 'flip' (literacy lessons, specifically speech writing), I know when I am going to start...next week...I just need to flippin' do it!

If you have any advice/ success stories/ pitfalls, please feel free to add a comment.






No comments:

Post a Comment